Thursday, May 23, 2019

Airtight Solutions (Part 5)

This months word is Airtight for the blog battles . I had to look it up and see if that word was used in the 30's, it was. I was so relieved. Okay enough about that on to the story.



If you have not read the other Parts go here:

Part 1 Flowers Have Mysteries
Part 2 Loss and Madness
Part 3 Mayhem at Dusk
Part 4 It Happened on the Night Shift

‘Word count 856’

Airtight Solutions

Heinz


By Rakayle Hier  


After I got the note from Hank I knew he had an airtight plan in mind.
I had a little under 24 hours to figure out my own plan; airtight was preferred but anything would do.


Of course I couldn’t be sure everything would work out. Like the fact that Lane was going to spend the night. I knew his reasons, but that didn’t make me happier.


I thought this while I cleared off the pile of papers from the couch.
A few escaped and floated onto the floor; there was a nice trail from the couch to the wall after I was finished.


Lane tried to get things a little more organized, but eventually gave up.
I smiled to myself pretending not to pay attention. I picked up a mixture of mine and moved it away from the edge of the table. Lane had already tipped over a jar of wax, no need to give him any more chances.


“How about we go out for supper?” I suggested, ready to get him out of my flat.


He looked up at me. “Ah, don’t you have a maid serves here? Couldn’t they send something up?”

I knew what Lane was avoiding, he thought Hank would be ready to strike.
I highly disagreed with his plan and told him so. The last thing I wanted was Mrs. Hardy coming up and making a fuss. That was her specialty.


“Come now Heinz, it is late.”


I think, I would rather starve, and be shoved into an airtight container, then have Mrs. Hardy come up to my room. I didn’t tell him my thoughts though.
He went over and rang the bell. Curse him.


Mrs. Hardy was right up. Lane opened the door and she came in.
“My, I am not use to this door being rung.”


“I didn’t mean to bother you, but we would like some—sandwiches brought up.”


An airtight plan could crumble with Lane around.


“Sandwiches would be fine.” She smiled. “A visitor?” The question was directed at me.


“Yes Mildred, please get us some sandwiches.”


“Alright, just don’t forget to return the dishes.”


“Of course.”


“And if you ask me this place should be cleaned up, right and proper.”


Here we go.


“How is one supposed to live in here?”


“I work here Mildred.”


“Yes, doing your experimenting I suppose. Don’t get any on the carpet.”


“You reminded me last week.”


“It still goes!” She gave a nodded and walked out the door, Lane slowly closed it behind her.


“Should I ask what that was about?”


I shook my head.


“Oh.”


The plan of not arguing with Mrs. Hardy just when out the window.
Nice of Lane to stop by.


I thought about throwing him out, but I needed him on my side.
If he went to the chief of police and told him about Hank it would ruin everything.

I fussed with my stiff shirt cuffs and subconsciously started tidying up; I forgot that Lane was in the room for a while. My thoughts drifted to my latest experiment, the purple liquid.

I brought out my airtight container, thinking on what it would feel like to be stuffed into it; I poured some of the liquid into the other jar, only putting a small amount inside. I closed the top and pumped the air out making it a vacuum.
I watched the liquid carefully. Nothing happened at first, it wasn’t long before I noticed something strange.


The purple liquid was eating threw the glass.


A knock came at the door and Mrs. Hardy came in; I quickly spun around setting the jar down behind me. I could painfully feel the suspicious position I was in. Lane took the sandwich tray and set it on the table that was a little too full already.


Mrs. Hardy glowered at me.


“Good day, Mildred.”


“Detective.” She tipped her chin and left.


I sighed and turned around to look at my glass. The purple stuff was gone and now I had a hole in my airtight jar. I quickly started looking for my leather book. I needed to write this discovery down.


“Heinz what are you doing?” Lane asked. I didn’t answer him, I found my journal and scratched down what had occurred.


“Want a sandwich?”


I looked over at Lane sitting on the couch eating a sandwich, watching me.


“I wouldn’t put it past Mrs. Hardy to have poisoned them.”


Lane frowned. “Don’t be so critical.”


I shrugged. “Better safe than sorry, I have a lot of enemies you know.”


Lane looked at his sandwich a little skeptical. He eyed me, seeing if I was being serious. I smiled.“Lane don’t be so gullible.”


He sighed and took another bite of his sandwich. I finished writing up my report and came over. I picking up a sandwich. “Alright Lane you ready to hear my plan?”


“That depends, does it involve poisoned sandwiches or something to do with Hank Wilson?”


“Ah, right to the point. Well, yes, Lane it does have something to do with ol' Hank. But more to do with a solution I have concocted, and a way to get an airtight plan out in the open.”


“Okay, sit down Heinz, I’m listening. Tell me your plan.”

                                                                   🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍

More things are coming up! This (airtight) was a hard word to use in the story. Let's hope the next one is easier. One can hope.

What do you think is Heinz's plan?
How did you like this part?
Tell me below. I would love any feedback!

6 comments:

  1. Hard? But you used it well and quite often ;d I'm loving this story. The snark is fun, too ;)

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose I did. :) I was trying... Thanks, it was fun to write!

      Delete

Every comment is loved. Thank you for being kind. I will always reply so come back, I love to get to know my readers.

It's Almost August

 How is more than half the year gone by? I've been enjoying the summer. I love summer.  It's been a very rainy year which is so grea...