Sunday, February 24, 2019

Loss and Madness (continued short story)

Here is another short story this one is continued from the last one I did "Flowers have Mysteries". I got the idea from Blog battlers Here. So again I am doing this and continuing the story from Detective Heinz's view point. I don't do first POV a lot, but here goes....



Loss and Madness

Detective Heinz

By Rakayle Hier “950 word count”

Why does loss of persons or property make one go mad? This question plagued me of late. Was it because of the note and flowers? Yes, I would have to say so. I couldn’t just sit around; I must go talk to Sam and Lester.

I rose from behind my desk that still held the fragrant flowers and went over to my closet. I pulled out my overly fashionable coat that was to my distaste. After my other coat was incinerated involving my last case I hadn’t had the time to get a new one tailored. I pulled it out bringing other clothing with it. I slipped on the coat and looked out the office door. Lane wasn’t in sight.

I walked softly on the carpet and went down the stairs. My head darted around to where the secretary's office was. The door was closed. I jumped the last few stairs and made for the door in haste.

“Heinz,” Lane’s voice spoke as my hand rested on the nob. I ignored him and went out the door. He of course followed. I looked back to see him skipping after me one arm in his jacket and the other searching for the other arm hole.
“Where are you going?” he asked when he caught up to me, his jacket now on.
“I am going to meet Sam and Lester. I want to know more about this case.”

“It’s not even a case yet.” He pointed out.

I nodded, he was right, for now.

I walked briskly across the street, taking in the crisp morning smells. Smoke hung in the air. I detected fresh bread being baked and also the musty smell from all the rain that had been falling all week. The tea shop was my destination. I took my favorite seat right outside in front of the shop. It gave me the opportunity to study people that passed by.  

Lane joined me. I assumed that the young fella had not chosen to be my assistant. It wasn’t of my choosing either. The chief of police Carmouthe thought I need an assistant and he sent Lane. Not that old Carmouthe is a kind soul, he just wanted someone to keep an eye one me. He has tried before. Giving me an assistant was his new plan.

After we were served tea, Sam and Lester showed up just as I expected.

“Lane, let me introduce you to Sam and Lester.”

The two boys, hardly eleven, greeted Lane with a hello. Lane on the other hand gave me a questioning look.

“Don’t be fooled by their age.” I smiled. “Sam and Lester are the most excellent sleuths for me. They can go places that I can not.”

“But…” Lane sputtered, “if Chief Carmouthe knew about this…”

“Well, Chief Carmouthe is not going to know about this. Is he?” I gave him a dark meaningful glare. I really felt quite sorry for Lane. He had only after all been with me a short time. He might even be useful, as long as he didn’t mess with all my plans that I have worked to perfection.

Lane gulped and avoided looking into my eyes.

I turned to the boys. “What do you have for me?”

Lester the brown head with a bushel of freckles on his face began. “I saw Hank Wilson leaving the police station. I recognized him right away, since ya know we helped on his case. Anyway I decided to follow him cuz you never know what these crooks are up to. He went to a hotel and checked in. I called Samie to come and watch for him while I went to investigate at the police station.”

Lester looked to Sam the shaggy ice blond. Sam smiled widely showing a missing tooth. “So I was tired of waiting, I decided to find out what room Ol’ Hank was staying in. Number 33.”

Lane interrupted, “Are you going to write that down?”

I rubbed my mustache. “No, I shall remember.”

Sam continued, “I went up to check his room and heard a conversation he was having with someone else. I heard Hank say ‘I’m going to get that gumshoe Heinz for everything he did to me.’ I didn’t stick around cuz they were leaving. I watched the two leave. It was Hank and some other guy in black. I tried to follow them, but they split up and I lost them.” Sam hung his head.

I patted his shoulder. “That’s alright Samie you will do better next time.” I raised my eyebrows. “Lester?”

Lester nodded. “It’s what you would expect, Hank got out for good behavior.”

I nodded taking in the information and filing it accordingly.

“Why does he want revenge anyway?” Lane asked, the only one clueless.

“Ah.” I sat back and sipped my tea. “That is a story worth going through. Hank Wilson’s wife died in an automobile accident. A cabbie was responsible. It was a tragic loss for him. It was a few months later, the cabbie was found dead. It was a quickly shut case as the police like it, but the cabbie’s wife asked me to find the truth.

“After some investigation I found the that the man had been poisoned by a very hard to detect poison. It didn’t take me long to prove that Hank Wilson was the killer. He was a strange chap, he almost seemed mad. The loss of family and murder are never good for the mind.”

“So we’re dealing with a lunatic?” Lane leaned forward his eyes wide.

I couldn’t help the smile that came to my lips. “A genius lunatic, but, yes, a lunatic nonetheless.”

🔎🔎

Miss the last story? Catch up Flowers Have Mysteries

This story went a little longer than the last one, but there was more things that needed to be explained. Hope you like the first person. Next time I might do Lane's POV. We will see. You can check out he other stories for the February challenge here and there is still time to enter  if you want.

So what do you think of the story? 
What do you think will happen next?
Do you like first or third person?
Tell me below.



8 comments:

  1. This was great! I especially love the last line. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I thought it would end the story nicely :).

      Delete
  2. Oh, great follow-up story! Loved it. I would love to see another from Lane's perspective ;)

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keturah! I plan to have the next story in March ;) with Lanes POV.

      Delete
  3. This is super interesting!

    I definitely like first person best, both when reading and writing, it just feels more personal if that makes sense. However, I use to write in third POV so I've adored both sides. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, It just came to me and there it is! ;)

      I like both too, but I have written third POV a lot so it is a little easier. First POV is fun though and I like to try something new.

      Delete
  4. Loved that last line! Left me wanting to know more. It reminds me of old timey detective/mystery films.
    Can't wait to read the next part
    Loren | plaidandsugar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loren! ;) That is what I want to be like, super happy it reminds you of old detective films!
      Next part will come mid March... I think ;).
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Every comment is loved. Thank you for being kind. I will always reply so come back, I love to get to know my readers.

It's Almost August

 How is more than half the year gone by? I've been enjoying the summer. I love summer.  It's been a very rainy year which is so grea...