Sunday, January 27, 2019

Flowers Have Mysteries (Short Story)

Hi everyone today I have a short story for you I got this idea out of the blue and wrote it in two days and edited it fast. It is my first short story to write with less than a thousand words. Don't know if it if flash fiction or not. It was suppose to be than in went to 600 words. Hope you like it.






Flowers Have Mysteries
By Rakayle Hier


“Do all flowers have mysteries?” the detective, all trim and fit, asked himself, as he looked at the flowers on his desk.  
“Not that I recall,” his scrawny assistant remarked as he came into the office. It was cluttered and the only thing brightening the room was a window and now the flowers. The assistant was pretty sure he had never seen flowers in the room before.


“But you see, Lane!” The detective jumped up excitedly gripping his assistance arm. “There is a mystery here and I’m going to solve it!”


“Where did they come from?” Lane asked slowly.

“I don’t know.” The detective’s mustache twitch like it always did when he was thinking. “The secretary brought them in. Said they had been dropped off for me. No one sends me flowers!”


“Is there a note?” Lane asked.


“A note? Of course! There could be a note.” The detective searched the flowers and vase. He quickly came up with a note. “ Ah, ha!” He brought it forth and read it. “‘Did you miss me?’ Do you you know what this means Lane?”


“No. Are one of the men you sent to jail out for revenge?”


“No, it is quite obvious,” the detective explained. “You see, if you look at the flowers. They were plucked from a field and not bought from a shop.” The detective snatch a flower from the vase. “ See how the ends are uneven? If they had been bought from a shop they would have been cut evenly. Now if it was a threat from a former enemy they would have to been in the country or if he was real devilish stolen some from a pot. He would have to be poor, but here is another reason I think that is not the case.


“This vase you will notice is quite old and has some use, see?”


“Yes, I see.” Lane nodded at the crack in the vase. “But he could have bought it second hand.”


“Yes, he could have, but if he was poor and went to buy second hand, why would he buy an expensive Japanese vase?”


Lane shrugged. “I don’t know.”


“Of course you don’t.” The detective nodded. “No... see the note. Look how there is an imprint on the paper like someone had to erase the sentence; like they couldn’t figure out what to write. If it had been someone who wanted revenge he would have known what he wanted to say because he has been thinking about it for such a long time.”


“He could have misspelled a word.”


“The note says ‘did you miss me?’” the detective said in exasperation. “How could he misspell those words?”


Lane threw up this hands. “Ok, why don’t you tell me who sent the note!”


“Why of course, Lane. You see, it’s my mates Sam and Lester they dropped off the flowers to be discreet and to tell me they have a lead. You see this mark on the paper?”


Lane squinted at the paper. “It’s a squiggle.”


“Yes that was my first clue it was from them. That is what I told them to mark on their messages. The eraser on the paper was them messing up the message, they do that some times.”


“Heinz! Your impossible!” Lane swished his hand at him and turned to leave.


“Thank you, Lane.” The detective looked down at his note. “Don’t you want to know what they said?”


Lane snapped his head around the door edge. “What?”


“I thought you’d be interested. They messaged to tell me Hank Wilson is in town and he is out for revenge.”
🔎

If you would like me continue the story I will. I have another story in process so stay tuned.
Did you like it? Do you want more?
Write a story about flowers and post it.
 #BlogBattle
Tell me below.

13 comments:

  1. I love this, Rakayle! It's quite obvious you read and know mysteries well ;) And yes, it's a flash fiction. Some places have require flash fiction to be smaller, but if it's under 1000 words it's considered flash fiction

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ok, I didn't know for sure cuz I thought it was long :).
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I love flash fiction!! (I have a horrible time writing it, though.) Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I always start out with a story idea for a flash fiction and it gets very long. ;)
      Thank you Julian!

      Delete
  3. This was so interesting! Flash fiction is fun. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes it is fun, I hope to write some more soon.

      Delete
  4. Fun! Mystery is tough to pull off in flash fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS WAS AdORABLE
    I could just FEEL the exasperation pouring off Lane. (Though TBH, I'm normally the INTJ annoying people rather then the annoyed person.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS, Mary Katherine!
      Oh I'm so happy thanks!
      ;) I can be either the annoying one or the annoyed one around my house.

      Delete
  6. Yessss love it!! You're so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great mystery! You developed the characters, plots with only limited words. You are genius! I love mysteries as well. I've tons of unfinished works. Maybe, now I'm going to complete some of them...because you inspired me! Thank you:)
    Loved your blog...

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is loved. Thank you for being kind. I will always reply so come back, I love to get to know my readers.

It's Almost August

 How is more than half the year gone by? I've been enjoying the summer. I love summer.  It's been a very rainy year which is so grea...