Thursday, April 4, 2019

11 of my favorite 30's slang words

I really enjoy researching for my historical stories, I don't really think any of my stories as fully historical... they are more like set in the past and of course has a mystery. I like them to feel like they are normal and not stressed. Also I think using words from that time, having stuff very pacific to that time, makes the story seem more real. I mean you don't have to to worry about it, I don't, but it is fun to look up old stuff and learn new things.


Here I give you some slang words used in the 1930's. A few of my favorite words anyway, there are many words I like.

Trip for biscuits 

This one means going somewhere or doing something for nothing. I think it is really interesting and easy to understand, making it easier to put in in a story. I know the picture is weird, I was having fun.

Horn

This one means telephone. I'm pretty sure his one was picked up because the type of telephones they had in the 1930's.

Dick/gumshoe/flatfoot

This one or rather three; it should be a favorite of mine because this one means detective. I am sure one of the three was used by the bad guys a lot. And do you know Dick Tracy? Why was he called Dick Tracy? Dick meant detective. Revelation!

Giggle Juice 

OK this one means whisky. I think this is the best word for whisky. I mean if you don't understand you have been drinking the wrong kind of giggle juice. Not meaning you have... just being funny.


Lincolns 

This means well...$5. Give me a few Lincolns. I think they used a lot of different money words in the 30's because there wasn't very much cash, Lincolns, bills... yeah.

Chicago lightning 

This slang word means gunfire. They used many words that had Chicago in it. I think it was gangster mostly. I'm no expert.

 Convincer/gat/ rod/ heater 

This one/ many.... come on guess, they mean a gun. Like any gun. A Chicago typewriter  was slang for a Tommy gun that the gangster used. They might say "Get out the convencer we'll get him to open the safe." I think it is a useful one if you like to write about gangsters.

Off the cob

This means someone is kind of crazy. There are a lot of words out there for this even today's age like off ones rocker. He is off the cob. Or maybe he his just corny.

Clean sneak

Meaning, make a clean get away without leaving evidence.  They plan to make a clean sneak. This one should be fun to use in your writing. In my picture the villain did not make a clean sneak.

Chin music 

This might be less obvious, meaning, punch in the jaw. I'll give you some chin music. For your fight scene.

Apple 

This one means city. Yes we have heard of the Big Apple, but in the 30's apple meant any city. This one should be easy to use in your 1930's novel.
   
                                                                 ðŸ”ŽðŸ”ŽðŸ”ŽðŸ”ŽðŸ”ŽðŸ”Ž
I had a lot of fun taking pictures for this post. (If you haven't noticed.)  Which is your favorite pic? I hope to do more type of posts like this. I might do other 1930's related posts and other slang from other times. I might do 1950's next.  Just remember slang words should only be used in a conversation.

Here are some more places to find 1930's words. There are so many good ones I just could not name them all.
https://grammar.yourdictionary.com
https://www.ranker.com/list/1930s-slang-words

Which slang word do you like the best?
Do you like 30's books?
Have you written anything set in 1930's? Do you want to?
Tell me below!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a fun post! I liked learning about all of these! And all your pictures are cool, I think my favorite is the "Clean sneak" one or the "Giggle Juice" one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!
      Thanks! I really love the Giggle Juice and Clean Sneak pic too! ;D

      Delete
  2. This was so fun! I really like Giggle Juice and Trip For Biscuits .. oh and Chin Music is hilarious, too ;D I like all the pictures, but my favorite is probably the lego one ;D

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post! They really are colorful words ;). Legos are a lot of fun!

      Delete

Every comment is loved. Thank you for being kind. I will always reply so come back, I love to get to know my readers.

It's Almost August

 How is more than half the year gone by? I've been enjoying the summer. I love summer.  It's been a very rainy year which is so grea...